Sunday, January 25, 2009

Theme Week 3 Scene Setting and Dialogue


After the Storm



I stand in my on my snowy deck, my flannel pajamas cozy under my ski pants. I am leaning on a shovel. I will clean off this deck, but first I need to enjoy the quiet that only comes when the snow is still falling, but the sun is just visible behind the milky clouds. Soon I will hear snow blowers and plows start all up and down my street. But for now, here I am on the dead end of my street, looking at the frozen river. The husband, the dog and the cat are just behind me in the house, but I get this moment.
“So, if you clean the cars off and move them, I’ll start snow blowing.” he says as the well trained Springer tumbles out the door in front of him, ready for whatever fun is in store.
“Do you think I need to roof rake this storm?” This is a job he has allowed me to take over as it gets harder for him. Not easy for him to admit that he needs help with these outdoor chores.
“Just take a little off the edges.”
I have just started on a small roof, not even near the main part of the house when I hear what sounds a lot like an avalanche. “What the hell?” Every piece of snow has come off the roof of the main part of the house in a big thump. Wow that was cool. Oh no, where is that little white dog. Is she under there? “Where’s the dog!?” I yell, but of course he can’t hear over the noise of that snow blower. Oh good, there she sits on a snow bank at the end of the walkway. Sitting so cute and safe watching the snow fly out of the end of the snow blower chute. My relief changes to horror as I see the big wing of a plow thundering toward us down the street.
“Come!” My voice more screech than command.
She calmly turns her head and looks at me as if to say, “I love you, but he told me to stay. I really want to come see you, but you know how he is about that whole stay thing.”
“Come now!” Another screeching command that never fails when he does it.
She now looks like she may be considering it. “Well maybe, but it’s really better for all concerned if I listen to him.” Her eyes roll toward the plow truck. “I’m pretty sure that big, noisy, plow thing is going to miss me.”
Of course it did and neither one of them realize how my morning has gone from peace to terror and back again.
“Hey, is this raking good enough? M.L. called and wants to go skiing.”
“Ya it’s great. How did you get snow off way up there?”
My friend and I are compatible ski partners. Our conversation in short bursts because we both know the zen of listening to just the swish of the skis and squeak of the poles in the cold snow. The snow carries millions of diamonds. The pine trees are latticed with snow.
I see something up ahead on the quiet trail. A red color seldom seen in nature and certainly not in the blue, grey and white of winter. My senses are confused. It must be a sled, even though I hear nothing. I yell, “Sled!” As we dive off the trail, it comes closer and becomes clearer to me. “Dogs!”
Four dogs pulling a sled with a lady standing on the runners. She is quietly saying, “Go by, Shane. Go by, Alice. Go by, Mable. Go by Riley.” The dogs roll their eyes at us and want to stop, but they go by. The lady says even more quietly to us. “One more sled coming with my little girl on it.”
“We see her,” We speak quietly also. The little girl has a smaller sled and two dogs that look heavier, older and more settled than the mom’s four. She too, speaks quietly to her dogs, “Go by Mary. Go by Sadie.”
It is a quiet magical moment.
“I think that may be my next sport.” I say as we step back onto the trail.







1 comment:

  1. Both halves of this work nicely--excellent scene-setting, good dialogue. Link or transition between them is weak though. Something more like this is needed:

    Of course it did and neither one of them realize how my morning has gone from peace to terror and back again.
    I'm tired of moving snow and want to be moving in it. I say, “Hey, is this raking good enough? M.L. called and wants to go skiing.”
    “Ya it’s great. How did you get snow off way up there?” I f he only knew!
    And an hour later, I'm strapping on my skis. My friend and I are compatible ski partners.

    ReplyDelete